I have officially been on Metformin for about three weeks now (almost four). Here are a few things I notice:
1. Lots of gastrointestinal problems. The constant sickness has gone away, but I will always have at least one diarrhea attack each day. They are always at the same time too, which confirms for me they are due to medicine. Not a major problem. Just more of an annoyance. Especially since it tends to happen during work hours.
2. Weight gain, which surprises me. This was supposed to cause weight loss, but I have gained three pounds. I wonder if this is due to the constant bloating problem I have? Bloating is another side effect of the meds. Not too worried at this point, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
3. No more headaches and blood sugar dropping out. I have had this issue for years where my sugar drops out and I get really sick. I used to carry snacks in my purse because it would happen so often. Not anymore since I started this medicine. I guess it's because my blood sugar is normalized now.
4. I'm never hungry. I have to remind myself to eat. This is another reason the weight gain surprises me. I hardly ever eat. I can go the entire work day and not feel hungry or sick from not eating. It isn't normal for me, so that has been an interesting change.
5. Just overall feeling better. More energy and less grouchy. Even my family has noticed the difference. The only time I feel really bad is that hour or so when the gastrointestinal problems hit.
I'm not saying I'm 100% and this medicine is perfect, but I do notice a difference. I'm glad I started the meds, but the bloating and weight gain is upsetting me. If this didn't change by my follow up appointment, I will mention it to the doctor. Overall I am happy with the choice. I hope the test results reflect something better.